Home Consulate Chinese consulate staff in Manchester say they lost consciousness after being attacked by a protester

Chinese consulate staff in Manchester say they lost consciousness after being attacked by a protester

0

More than a week after a violent fight broke out at his workplace, a staff member at the Chinese consulate in Manchester, UK, claims he was assaulted by a protester.

Gao Lianjia said he was standing near the door of the consulate on October 16 when one of the Hong Kong pro-independence protesters “knocked me down running against my belly.”

“He then knocked off my glasses and attacked me in the face,” Gao said of the protester, who he described as a man wearing a black combat glove on his left hand, according to Sky News.

The diplomat continued, “In a split second, he grabbed my collars firmly and knelt down forcefully on my body with his back to the ground. I struggled, but in vain. I had difficulty breathing and lost consciousness.

More from NextShark: Meet Kyuta Kumagai, the 10-year-old world champion sumo wrestler

Gao shared his version of events at a press conference hosted by the Chinese consulate and embassy. Due to the attack, he reportedly suffered a concussion and other injuries.

“When I came back to life, I saw the attacker being taken out of the compound by the police,” he added.

More from NextShark: Man charged with setting fire to beloved five-decade-old Massachusetts Chinese restaurant

It was not immediately clear whether Gao was referring to Bob Chan, the Hong Kong national who was dragged into the consulate compound before being removed by British police. Consul General Zheng Xiyuan had previously alleged that the protester had “immersed himself in the property” after refusing to let go of a staff member.

Zheng, however, also admitted to pull Chan by the hair, describing it as an act of “duty”. “He abused my country, my leader,” the official said.

More from NextShark: Serial offender who punched Asian senior over 125 times in New York charged with hate crimes

Zheng, who was also present at the conference, expressed disappointment at Greater Manchester Police for not “intervening” on the consulate’s behalf.

“We were hoping the police would step in to support us, but they didn’t,” Zheng said, according to Sky News. “It is in such a circumstance that to safeguard the dignity of our country, we acted.”

Yang Xiaoguang, charge d’affaires at the Chinese embassy, ​​also targeted the British government.

“We urge the British side to resolve this issue on the merits of this issue and not make bad decisions under political pressure from a few people. We also ask the British side to provide sufficient protection for Chinese missions in the UK in the future,” Yang said, according to CGTN.

Chan, for his part, strongly refuted the consulate and Beijing version of events. At another conference last week, he insisted that he was dragged into the consulate compound and assaulted – actions that seem consistent with now viral videos chaotic moment.

“Let me repeat it to be clear: I was dragged to the consulate. I did not attempt to enter the consulate,” he said. “I felt punches and kicks from several men. Other demonstrators tried to get me out of this situation, but in vain.

“The attack only stopped when a man who turned out to be a uniformed Greater Manchester Police officer pulled me outside the gates.”

The incident is still under investigation.

Image selected via The Guardian / HKFlagTeam